Saturday, March 29, 2008

day 15: 13th compound

Back at the hostel around 6:00 am, we received a new task from alex and fransesca, asking us to focus on social, spatial, economic, material, and form/construction of our Nagar even when we were yet to get the information on the history of 13th compound. we braced up, set out for the day, conducting interviews, walking through 13th compound. Alas!!!, we were able to dig out the informations on 13th compound.
Interview with Mr. Naushad (president of dharavi businessmen welfare association).
I came to Dharavi in 1971 from a little village in UP, south of Maharashtra, where I studied for my bachelor of arts. After this I followed my father and grandfather - who came in 1938 - to Mumbai. They had always been in the auction business, selling exported products which in that time (until 1947) were distributed via the United Kingdom. When this business ceased to exist, my father decided to get into the plastic business which is now the major business in 13th compound. Presently, most of my family lives in Mumbai, but I still go back to my village every 1 to 1,5 years. Business has been good; I and my brother all own our individual businesses in 13th compound and have houses outside dharavi. I have just been elected as the president of dharavi businessmen welfare association. Our association is working on several sectors like health, taxes, illegality, and peace making so as to improve the welfare of the people. I now represent the workers of 13th compound; this means that every intervention by any institution reports to me, even police and other governmental instances. Next to this, I keep a close eye on political developments in order to keep the factory running. Presently, 13th compound generate as much as 3 million turn over monthly and for the future, I hope to keep the industry running, and gain the respect Dharavi deserves producing materials sold and spread out in all of India and even beyond.

No comments: