Saturday, March 29, 2008

day 17: is there residence in 13th compound?

Walking around 13th compound, trying to explore the communality of the area which looks somehow lost, we found out that 13th compound in not exclusively commercial but there are residences in dabbawala and in fact, 60ft is not the boundary of the 13th compound. In 13th compound, there are 13 nagars or compounds and each name has been named after their fore-fathers who first came there, such as Shakir compound, Navrang compound and so on. we conducted interview with Mr. faroque, who is a doctor there and a woman who is above 90 years old that lives in dabbawal, 13th compound.
Interview with Mr. faroque (doctor)
I learnt medicines for several years and later came to 13th compound in 1995 to open my clinic. I have between 50 and 70 ‘customers’ every day who pay an amount of about 20 rupees for medicines for the morning, afternoon and evening. This is less than what is asked outside of Dharavi, but it is the only way to keep medical treatment payable for the people living and working here. Presently, my business is on a decline of about 30%; because there are more medical clinics, people are moving out of 13th compound to Nallasopara because of fear of the new development plan for the area, and the high electricity charge (11ruppies/unit). Mostly, I treat people for minor injuries such as cold and fevers. Few people get tuberculosis because their body has adapted to the environment. Only about once or twice a year I have to redirect someone to the hospital because of machinery injures from working in the 13th compound.
Interview with Kannatak family from Gujarata in dabbawala, 13th compound

My name is Bassama. I’m over 100 years old and live with my daughter’s family in the house that I built in the 1930s. I was the first to arrive to these marshlands with my 2 young sons, and we were knee-deep in mud and water. I collected industry waste, scraps and construction waste (especially mud and sand) in bags on my head, and filled in enough area to build my home on. Carrying the sand and mud on my head made me lose my hair. Other people were doing the same as more people migrated from all over India, with families and neighbourhoods beginning to form. We have no problem in the Monsoon season. A decision was made by chairmen to industrialise the area 35 years ago. 7 people live in this house. We collect plastic wires in a wheelbarrow or bag to carry on our heads from the surrounding areas in Dharavi. Never needing to go beyond 5km, our bags are full after 2-4 hours. Our lives are flexible. We don’t make a profit, maybe when I earn 50R (0.90 euro), I sometimes save 5R. We borrow material from each other to sell in hard times, and look after each other in times of need. Economic and psychological support is very important here. We sell the raw material in bulk to someone who has placed an order. We sleep and eat downstairs (in a 3x3 meter room). We live in the Dabba Walla so that we can store the material upstairs so we know it’s safe. We pay 100R rent / month to the Bombay Municipal Council for our house. Commercial shops have to pay at least 400R. We get water and pay bills to the BMC. The electricity bills are 4R / kW in this residential area. Sometimes we get a big bill from industries in the 13th Compound using our electricity, sometimes amounting to 1500R. We have to pay it. My 2 grandsons and granddaughter will return from Gujarat after the baby is born. My grandson will also marry in Gujarat or in a banquet hall in Dharavi. After that he will return here with his wife. We return home once a year to worship our native Hindu god, Kali Nandu. We go separately, so the business stays alive. There are mixed religions here, but most people come from Gujarat, and we have a very strong sense of community. We go to religious festivals in the nearby 40 year old Hindu temple by Mahim station. There is also the 40 yr old Bori cemetery in 13th Compound, the 30 yr old Moringa Mosque, and some Muslim prayer rooms.
When the ’92 Riots started, all that we experienced was a curfew. We heard stories from the other end of the 60 ft Rd of men being burned alive, and beaten to death. We stayed awake at night and discussed how to not let the riots affect our businesses. Our business helped maintain our community. We shared with and helped each other. I don’t know of any new government plans for the area! I know nothing about it. It’s business as usual for us. What I.D. Card? Don’t know what I would do without my business. What is going to happen??? We will unite and fight anyone who tries to compromise our business or our lives. Whatever happens, we won’t separate from the community.

we concluded the night by watching an indian movie tittled "om shanti om" at a community hall in koliwada

No comments: