Thursday, March 27, 2008

On the road to Mumbai

A day to my departure, I was really excited and restless. As I was parking my bags, I reflected on my motivation letter. I was curious about Mumbai, curious about dharavi. I wonder what world is like in dharavi, I thought of lagos in my home country, reflected on Netherlands where I live presently, and immediately summed up courage that I have seen the two ends (worst and best) of livelihood. Maybe, that was presumptuous. On Sunday morning, myself, Stephan, jasper, and arie, departed from Schipol to Istanbul to India.
First impression: On landing at 4:30a.m at Mumbai airport (12:00 in Netherlands), I was really tired because of the long journey. My first impression was drawn to the emptiness of inside the airport, the renovation, and the smell. I saw the security guards sitting quietly on the seat with nonchalant attitude. Moving through the airport, in a short time my awareness grew, trying to experience the space. My attention was drawn to the smell. I smelled a particular thick heavy odour. I asked Stephan and Jasper whether they perceive the smell or not. On getting outside the airport, my sight was now working fully; I saw a vast number of people. I remembered Salaam Bombay. I immediately became conscious of myself, my body, and my properties. I saw the taxi, and I smiled. We took the taxi straight to shivar hotel in dharavi.

No comments: